Monday, May 4, 2009

We have left everything to follow you!

But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be
saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"
"I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal
life
. Mark 10:24b-30

There is so much packed into this passage, and I'm in awe of who Jesus is. I've been studying this section of the Bible because of several lessons found here: how we (the rich of the world) rely on ourselves and how hard it is for such to enter the kingdom of God, the powerful grace of God even in such situations, the dedication of the disciples, and Christ's promise/warning to them. Lots to think about.

I have to find a new home in about a month's time. My current, lovely living situation has to come to an end rather abruptly, so as the school year reaches its frenetic May pace I have to move...somewhere. As flats are falling through, I've got to tell you, I'm uncomfortable and stressed. This passage also spoke to me regarding God's care in this situation.

But even as I have been feeling scared about losing my home, lonely for family, exhausted from the fever pitch at school, and concerned about the hearts of students who are leaving, the biggest lesson from this passage for me, beyond the comfort, was the claim that Peter made--"We have left everything to follow you!"--in light of the savior Jesus.

Now, HE "left everything".
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And
being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:5-11
God didn't have to leave his place in heaven to redeem this world by dying on the cross. He doesn't have to make the impossible salvation of self-absorbed rich people possible. He doesn't have to provide a new flat for me now. The holy, sovereign God doesn't owe me anything. Yet, he did die. He will provide. He cares for his children.

Even in my current discomfort, I can only stand in awe.

No comments: