Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day 14: Silent Students

I love to hear my students talk. In fact, fewer things bring me as much joy in the classroom as students with insightful comments during discussions. Today during a fire drill, though, my 8th grade students' silence was the truest herald of joy (hm, stole that from Shakespeare. Sorry, Will.).

Why? Because after hearing the exciting news of a fire drill during class by which they could avoid class, these kids followed directions and the request to "lead the younger students out" perfectly. They were silent out of the classroom, silent down the hall and stairs, silent across the street, silent walking by a cute dog, silent in the mass of high school students. Silent as asked.

Today, I'm thankful for the amazing students we have at ICSB--silent in the hall, singing in the musical, or otherwise. The quiet fire drill was just a reminder.

No comments: