Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wrapped in a scarf, Snuggled in by the fire

I love Autumn. I have been waiting for the crisp wind heralding its arrival for weeks now--ever since returning from balmy Orlando, I suspect. Creation is gorgeous throughout the year, but I am inspired by the changing colors, the need for sweaters, the appeal of steaming coffee. Okay, that last one exists year round, but anyway...

I haven't taken the time to write any original poetry noting the season, but I did document a neighborhood tree as it changed colors. I also spent quite a deal of time perusing the poetry of various writers to find suitable odes. Please enjoy the following with the warm beverage of your choice and toast the beautiful Fall.

Listen! the wind is rising,
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer evenings,
now for October eves!
~Humbert Wolf's
"Autumn (Resignation)"

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson's
XXVIII. Autumn.

Or this classic that I adore...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost's
"The Road Not Taken"






Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

caljoy said...

I found your blog when I typed in Carpe Diem, then looked for Seize eternity!!!
It has been a good read. I live in California and am the women's ministry director of a church here. I teach the women's adult community class and we are studying Philippians and JOY. I was telling the class that I've always wished we believers would say "Seize eternity" and shared a quote thatI like in Latin it is:
"Aeternitas vitae resonat tamquam imago" translates to: Eternity is as it were the very echo of our life"
Paul tried to show us that we can become so earth bound, so tied up with our possessions and stuff, that we need to see eternity through the eyes of Christ.
anyways, I will keep on reading. Thanks also for the fall pictures. I'm originally from Michigan and so miss the fall...
joy

Audrey said...

Indeed, this life is but a breath. The fullness of life in Christ is yet to come. It is an honor that we may have eternal life: knowing the One True God and Jesus Christ, whom He sent even now. But let us fix our eyes on Jesus, not on that which is temporary! Thanks for stopping by, Calijoy!